Sunday 28 June 2015

Artists not being given credit where credit is due.



I've copied the post below from my Facebook page  ... It really does make me so mad. Even with the benefit of doubt that the person is just adding pics and then sharing them without really knowing what they are doing - even after me and others have pointed out that the pics are other artists work and should be given credit the poster has remained silent... but is still posting which probably annoyed me more!


It takes a lot of time to make miniatures look good in pictures. Taking the images and editing them to be appealing to an internet audience. I admit I don't always watermark my pics but sometimes I think I really should add something to each picture I take like the one above so if it is used then they know it's mine!! 


..... copied from my Facebook post earlier ... 

VENT ALERT!!
I'm a member of many miniature groups on facebook. As I've been browsing though the posts there are a number which are of artists miniature food being posted by one individual.
In the big scheme of things there is nothing wrong in sharing other people's work BUT there is no text accompanying the pictures and you could be under the impression the work is of the person posting.
I've commented on a couple of posts, there are watermarks in some of the pics but if you use a mobile to view it may not be clear that there is one.
It is annoying that this person hasn't edited any post to clarify that these are food items she admires/likes as I'm not even sure if the intent is to pass the models off as her own, she has stayed silent apart from posting the images.
Anyone could take one of my pics and pass it off as their own. Way back many years ago one of my pics was used in a blog post which was along the lines of - the people that make miniatures and in particular miniature food are mad and why would they do it? I found it by googling one day by accident.
I do say on my blog please respect and play fair and if a pic is used to give proper credit as me being the maker. I do with anything I write about mini or not I try to link back to the original picture or at least credit the website/blog/facebook page of the artist.
Last week I saw some things I'd made years ago for sale on a facebook page. The lady was selling them along with other food miniatures from several artists. What she wasn't doing was passing them off as her own work but said they were items she had bought and now no longer wanted.
All anybody asks for is credit for their work which if everybody played fair they would do but not everyone plays fair.
Steps down from soapbox ...



No comments:

Post a Comment